Saturday, July 19, 2008

Easter Bullets, Sun Visors, The Alamo, Multi-county Criminals

Ok, odd story, then I promise I'll change modes...

Ran over to get some ice at the gas station and take Bill some dbl Chocolate Zucchini Brownies, then stayed to shoot the breeze at the counter. Another guy was standing there too-- he joined in our conversation for a while; a personable cleancut, redneck-type man. I was trying quite hard to keep a straight face, for the Judy Garland singer/painter came in and I could hear “Dancing in the Moonlight” tinkling in my head... and redneck man was making conversation and wanting to know if there were any people around that 'talked weird'--we filled him in on LOTS of those!
Meanwhile, 3 little girls told Bill they liked his Hooters hat as they left; he blew up with: “It's a VISOR! It's a VISOR!”
He must get exasperated by evening, you know, soaking up so much stupid and all.
He proceeded to tell us that visors have always gotten him into trouble and his 3rd visor story occurred when he went to San Antonio to watch his son graduate from Air Force basic training a few years ago. (I could share in this experience, as I had also went there to watch Bailey do the same thing.) After the ceremony, you could ride the tram to the Riverwalk and visit awesome shops, eat at Joe's Crabshack, visit the lovely, low, live oak that sprawled all over and....go to the Alamo!

Bill's visor caused huge Texas Security men to surround him at the Alamo and oh, so kindly, tell him to take it off or leave. Bill, never the conformist, pointed out that the sign said “Remove Head Coverings”. He removed the visor, picture-framed his face with it and pointed out that the police COULD see his face THROUGH the visor, it was hollow, thus it was NOT covering his head, whereupon he replaced his visor. (Bill has long hair and a pony-tail, probably disliked by typical Texans!)
Eventually 4 Rangers insisted he take off the visor or leave; Bill pointed out the Arab that was inside WEARING A TURBAN that covered HIS head. Well, apparently turbans and the like are OK; (even though I jokingly/indignantly declared he could have had an Uzi under it or something! or like Cop friend later said—packing C4!) and Bill couldn't quickly think of a religious/cultural reason depicting a necessary visor, so needless to say he didn't visit the Alamo.

Cop friend called shortly after Bill's story to share his daily number of warnings/tickets/arrests. He works in another county and was talking about an individual that I knew...whose brother used to live with my sister. Of course this naturally led to the Easter Bullet Suicide Story:

It was Easter Sunday, probably in the late 80's & we always played baseball with the little kids in the front pasture at my mom's. This was a tradition and now broken by a phone call that came from my sister's then boyfriend, Devon. He'd stayed home feeling sorry for himself, having missed out on egg-hunting and a delicious Easter ham... My sister, BG, came back out of the house and told us that he was going to kill himself.
Immediately we jumped in my little Datsun to drive the backroads to a tiny, hidden town. There on the roadside by a little wooded area, was his vehicle. We could see a note inside, and for some reason, by Datsun key opened his door and we read a suicide note. We walked hesitantly into the woods, abruptly stopping when we saw his body slumped against an oak, hat over his face, gun in hand by his side....where's the blood? was he dead? what do we do?
We tiptoed up and then he moved, grumbly, scary, insisting that I leave and BG remain. I would not leave her alone with him ('he'll shoot her' I thought-- rocky relationship, etc). Finally I told him that I would let them talk together if he gave me the gun. He absolutely would NOT, so I insisted on the clip. “I'm not leaving her alone with you until you give me those bullets.” Eventually he removed the clip, showed me it was empty and I stuck the clip in my pocket and walked away. I froze when I suddenly heard 2 shots-- “What? Oh my God—he shot her, then himself!” but as I turned around, she was slowly walking toward me... “Go” she whispered, “just go—walk natural!” We kept walking but I was terrified sick and rigid as a board—kept thinking that any second I was going to have a bullet in my back—I could just FEEL it-- and the back of my knees were all wobbly. We were almost near the car when we heard shots again and we ran and drove back to grandma's as fast as we could, calling the Sheriff and Devon's family. No cell phones back then... (No suicide either.)

So I am telling Cop friend this, and about Bill's visor and Judy Garland, and about the redneck man at the counter, when he says “WHAT! You were talking to HIM?! He's one of the biggest criminals around! Always in jail!!!”
I was shocked-- “No way, I didn't think so; he didn't LOOK like one; no way; must be a really bad judge of character...I'd always assumed that person I'd heard about was wild and sleazy lookin with no teeth....are you sure???”
I was reminded that Thomas Crown looked nice too. So now I have met one of the 2 notorious Sever brothers.

3 comments:

Dan Johnson said...

Wow... who are the Sever bros.?

We had a problem here with the Sikh RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounted Police) wanting to wear their turbans instead of the standard head gear, authorities opted for a badge on a turban... don't get me started...

B. Diederich said...

Of course, I try not to use anybody's real names on here...
Some guys that have been in jail on and off forever; nearly my age. After I met that one, I think they must just do it for the adventure...steal anything they can get their hands on...no matter what or why...little things and even huge things...like backhoes and stuff!

In our town, we have only a couple african-american or oriental kids at school-- I mean like maybe 3 or 5 total...
However, we are now getting several spanish-speaking workers, so it will be interesting how the community handles this. They live pretty much in an old renovated house together on one block (by the river!) that I now refer to as 'Mexiville'!
BD

Dan Johnson said...

That's funny. When I was in elementary school, I think there may have been one Chinese kid and I can still remember when the first East Indian kid came, his name was Shikar Dudj. I'd never seen dark skin up close before (maybe somebody on the street). Vancouver is a melting pot now of absolute epic proportions,Chinese, East Indian, North Van has lots of Iranians.Sometimes I think Whitey may almost be the minority. Now there are suburbs of Vancouver that English is almost the second language...

Crack heads and heroin addicts have also taken over our lovely city but I think they may be squeezed out before the 2010 Olympics... I could go on about this but it's time to make some dinner...'Til soon, Dan...