Wednesday, November 12, 2008

'Oliver'

There's a little guy hanging out by one of our stores whenever I go in the evenings—I used to run into him when I'd ride down on my bike after work and he'd be on his bike too-- just leaving or riding aimlessly around the parking lot...first we'd nod, then a few days later we'd say 'hello'...now we speak full sentences to one another and sometimes he even comes inside the store and talks for an aisle or too.

He was there tonight when I ran in for some catfood, so I always make it a point now to smile and ask him a couple questions and listen carefully. I was struck (after I left) with incredible sadness-- I'd been thinking lately of a good friend of mine that had committed suicide many years ago. I remembered hearing that this little guy had lost a parent that way a year or two ago, and I wondered if anyone was ever at home (and I've heard not too often).

Was hanging by the store the only way this youngster was ever touched by humanity at any level? How bad is it to watch families-parents-kids going/coming/ laughing together/ jumping back in their vehicle to go home to a hot meal? What is it like for him when no one is there after school to ask you about your day? To see if you need a jacket? To put your clothes in the wash? Just to see if you're alright? How long has it been since he's had an arm around his shoulder? Months? Years? Ever​? I think I'll drive myself into a depression right now if I dwell...so I will make sure I talk more to him next time...

1 comment:

Dan Johnson said...

You may have been reading my mail. I would like to leave more interesting and thoughtful comments on your blogs but generally by the time I read them I've just finished posting and I've had enough interweb...Must manage time better...love your stuff. DJ