Sunday, December 21, 2008

Future of Mankind...

Curling up on the couch last night, I decided I would read a book. What else is there to do on a freezing Saturday night?!

I read "The Road", a Pulitzer Prize winner & Nat'l Bestseller by Cormac McCarthy whose chilly tones rang depressingly reminiscent of a 'Denizovichian' gulag winter or the survival(?) of Golding's "Pincher Martin". I generally reserve reading material of this sort to the 100 degree-getting a tan- heatstroke temp of July, when a fresh dose of bitter cold theme can hopefully cool down one's mind and body!

It was an easy read and naturally (like always) there were times when I yearned for more detail, but as I reflect back today, I'm glad the detail was sparse. I'm assuming that in my mad reading rush and tired state of mind that my thoughtless 'Eh' upon finishing it was based on my struggle to keep my eyes open, and I tiredly clicked off the TV remote, the light, and pulled the covers over my head. It was so morose and hopeless...

Details. I love details. While there were enough to prevent me from putting it down--I HAD to read this, I was anxious to finish this eery thing; perhaps the desolate sparseness of detail was what led to my vivid, full-blown imaginative horror in the middle of the night as I woke with disturbed waves dreadfully washing over my mind:
'On the mattress lay a man with his legs gone to the hip and the stumps of them blackened and burnt. The smell was hideous.'
Many pages later the small boy asks his dad:
'They're going to eat them, aren't they?'

While I won't give you any further comments on humanity's resiliance (that's the depressing part here) or the aspect of overall despair, I guess that the writer stirred up enough of my thoughts to leave an impression....I don't want any more scanty details of the basement scene playing through my dreams. Dear God, that was horrible. Is this our future?

No comments: