Friday, January 2, 2009

Character Flaw.

I just got back after forcing myself to don my winter clothes and walk 4 blocks to the post office and I sit here now typing up and thinking about what a horrible person I am. I've been sitting here for nearly 4 hours, staring at some cream-colored, addressed envelopes, into which I eventually tucked their matching cards and stuck on their stamps. I am so terrible. I don't understand why I am this way; why I intend to do good and can never follow through...
I speak about sympathy cards and the rush of sadness I feel when I hear or read that someone has passed away.
I run out and search for just the right card. I look at it and write names--family names, my name, begin a sentence or two....then fail. I mean well. I just can't say what I mean. I want to say something meaningful and respectful and caring, but everything I say sounds exactly like what everyone else will say, or said. I want to think of a positive or fond personal statement but I fear to cause someone a rush of tears that reads them. I try again and eventually come up with something, but it's doesn't sound quite right. Does a bereaved family read cards anyway? I know my mother did--over and over and over again. I couldn't bear it. I did not want to read them and did not want to listen to them being read outloud to me, and although I did listen I only actually heard the words of one...
Anyway, many many times over the years I have come across envelopes with cards; when I pull them out I am shocked to see the cards were filled out and never sent. I've found them under my vehicle seats, in drawers, in the glovebox, under magazines and am always encompassed in a huge wave of shame. 'I didn't mail that?' 'Oh, not again.' 'What am I avoiding?' 'You selfish idiot.' 'I meant to...' I thought I did...' 'What is wrong with me?' 'How can I be so terrible?'
So tonight I wrote the words and picked them up and carried them down the street to the 'in town' box knowing that if I waited til morning it would never get done. Perhaps this should be a new resolution....

3 comments:

Dan Johnson said...

Good for you Bren, at least you think of it, I've never even sent a bereavement card. My experience has been that they're simply glad you're at the funeral (I think). I know I'm a guy but I'm the worst with that kind of thing (the only reason I remember my family's birthdays is because my Dad's is April Fools, My Mom's is Halloween, my sister's is Thanksgiving and mine is New Years Eve). I will say though that if I DID take the time to buy the cards and fill them out I probably would have mailed them...probably, procrastination has been know to grab hold of me.

I feel the same as you, I end up writing something that I think the person wants to hear or something that didn't sound quite right or sincere. Many cards and wedding books I end up signing with, "All the best of luck in your future years." A phrase a buddy of mine put in my grade 8 annual that we had a laugh at.

There's a saying a buddy of mine and I use that we kind of get a chuckle out of and you can apply it to many things, "You do what you can."--cop-out?

PS; For what it's worth, whenever I have anything to mail, it seems to take me forever.It may stem from being a kid and my Nana used to guilt my Mom into writing her letter (that or sheer laziness). I hated doing it and there never seemed to be anything to say.

Anyway keep writing Bren, I always appreciate your outlook and honesty.

Your Friend, Dan.

Dan Johnson said...

PS, I used "buddy" twice too close together--substitute friend...

Dan Johnson said...

Oh yeah, one more thing, don't be too hard on yourself :~)