Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Hawk and the Mermaid

As I opened the freezer & laid to rest a saran-wrapped brush full of Kilz (not a dead animal) that will be resurrected by the pilot light in the morning a.m., I was glad that I'd made an attempt to paint the kitchen ceiling instead of moping about. High on the ladder, all I could think was the following:

"When the Mermaid Girl and the Falcon delivered the Frog Prince into the world, the onset of labor brought about a fierce wind and bitter snow that followed the little family for a fortnight; impeding the baby's first week check-up, yet they remained awestruck, snug and undaunted by the tiny miracle they'd created deep in their wooded cabin." or something.

Well, the first part of the sentence was a good start but I forgot the last half while I was watching "Desperate Housewives" and can't reconstruct it! Maybe I'll dream it.... I'd been calling Emery 'little minnow', while others referred to him as little frog or tadpole...my mom always called my son Tegan 'little grasshopper'. I'd received the "Owl and the Pussycat" poem re-written by Grandma Sandy a couple weeks ago and I was just tickled because I could picture each scene perfectly!
Here it is!

The Hawk and The Mermaid (with apologies to Edward Lear)


The hawk and the mermaid went to the beach
In a beautiful sea-blue Ford
They had plenty of “honey”, but not much money,
(‘Twas not in their nature to hoard.)

The hawk looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar,
“O lovely Lady, o Fishy, my love,
What a beautiful Fishy you are, you are,
What a beautiful Fishy you are!”

Fishy said to the bird, “That’s the best song I’ve heard,
How charmingly sweet you sing!
O let us be married; too long we have tarried,
But what shall we do for a ring?”

So they flew far away in less than a day
To the hills with the grass and flint rocks.
And there in the town, a jeweler they found,
With THE RING in a velvet-lined box, a box,
With the ring in a velvet-lined box.

“Dear man, are you willing to sell for one shilling
That ring?” Said the jeweler, “I will.”
So they took it away, and were married next day
By the “Cleric” who lived on the hill.

They ate barbecue and drank copious brew,
Minus the aid of a spoon,
And wing in arm, they strolled on the farm,
And danced by the light of the moon, the moon,
And danced by the light of the moon.

Oh they’ve had immense fun, but the story’s not done,
For what’s best is what money can’t buy.
Of the froglet they spawned they’re terrifically fond,
And the dog with the crazy blue eye, blue eye
And the dog with the crazy blue eye!

No comments: