Friday, June 13, 2008

The Fugative and Oddness for Dan

When I stepped out the door at 10:07 last night to walk, I finally met up with 'the Fugative'. He had just climbed the step to the porch and did not turn tail and run, so I got a good look. He was a young racoon with a thin face and thin shoulders. I talked to him as I dumped some more catfood out and then stepped back in the doorway to encourage him to come closer, which he did until he was 4 feet away. About then Ursula showed up and begin to hiss and spit, so I poured out a little more food so they wouldn't have to share a plate. Fugative ate rather furtively, eying me in the doorway/leery of the cat too. I am worried tonight, as he didn't show up and it's 10:30 already. I had wanted to see if he'd eat from my hand. Maybe.

Ursula. My God that was an ugly newborn, evoking gasps of horror 'Is THAT a kitten?!' and 'Uggh!'. No one could bring themselves to touch it's scrawny, hideous, nearly transparent body and when Brig, Brett, and I looked into the mother cat's box you could almost see brief visions of the freezer hovering in the air. Almost. 'Is it normal? What's wrong with it?'

And then, magically, about 2 weeks later, the creature must have been wanded in the night by a good fairy's sparkle, because it immediately became a dandelion poof, a fat little puffball of creamy white fur, a sproing of raving beautyhood. (I can invent my own words if I want, and according to my old K-State English Professor Thomas Murray, who is serving life imprisonment for killing his wife, language is continually CHANGING. For some reason I had to take my Final alone with him one summer...and I remember him as being a lot of fun with a sparkle in his eye. Except for the first day of class when an idiot girl made a social 'gaffe', a remark about his wife being an attorney and what a good job that was...and a brief 'flicker' crossed his face...I always wondered if anyone else caught that flicker. Anyway, he went from a nice looking guy to an aged-man very quickly. Everyone seemed to enjoy his class---what a shame. Hmmm.)


So anyway, the marvelous little fluffball became known as Ursula Weiss or white bear, before we realized that it was a male cat. Probably due to his feminine name or all this new admiration and undivided attention, we psychologically damaged this previously-ignored kitten, because it is apparent that he's gay.

As far as the Fugative...I told Brig that if he doesn't latch the screen door, sooner or later the racoon will be licking the last dregs of his bedtime cereal bowl milk right off his lips when he falls asleep on the couch!

As far as Mr. Murray-- I wonder if he writes any interesting blogs from the 'inside'.

*You learn something new every day... came across this as I googled this morning: "Murray is a linguistics scholar who, while living in Ohio in 1989, co-wrote "The Language of Sadomasochism".

1 comment:

Dan Johnson said...

It's funny about your racoon. I was over at my friend Steve's place yesterday and he now has a racoon that comes by his place everyday. In his eyes he almost looks domesticated (the racoon's not Steve's) but yiu know they can turn on you pretty quick, we think this one is a Mom (nipples). That's a fun word like panties...hehe.

That's what I'm talking about, another strange one...bizzare.