Saturday, September 13, 2008

River of Doubt

I finished this book earlier today hoping for vivid details of Roosevelt's Amazon trip. I learned much about his character and that of the Brazilian Indian advocate Rondon. I wistfully wished for a writing style like James Michener, who has the ability to make his historical (and invented) characters come alive in his adventures, but this was not the case, so that part was disappointing for me. However, I did really enjoy the descriptions of the green rainforest itself--the ecosystems/coexistence and dependency of plant-insect-animal life. I will have to google more about that!
And if people stranded in the gloomy rainforest, or those left for long periods of time, tend to become more and more fearful and nutty-- well, just look at this plant I found online--talk about running into something creepy!:
Now, take a look at this: http://dearkitty.blogsome.com/2007/02/06/worlds-largest-flower-in-bloom-mild-winter/

No comments: