Sunday, December 20, 2009

Lost: 1 Antique Oak Rocking Chair


...through the spaces of the dark
Midnight shakes the memory
As a madman shakes a dead geranium.

In a quandary we've all frantically searched for something; a set of keys, cell phone, a library book past due... It never fails--even if you slow down/retrace your steps/distastefully dig through the trash...its mysteriously gone forever.
Until 20 minutes later and there the object sits--right in front of your deluded, exasperated eyes. Gah!

During Thanksgiving week, we lounged around Bailey and Nate's cabin on 2 pre-owned comfortable chairs, or several couch cushions strewn on an older, patterned rug. I was telling Bailey how I loved to sit and rock my babies-- all of them snuggled and slept to the sound of my beating heart. A rocking chair is a life-saver needed by all new mommies--how I wished I could ship her the one I used.
The summer I was 18 and out of high school, I stripped the crinkled blackened finish off an old gently curved, low-seated, slatback rocker, exposing the lovely golden oak underneath. I sanded, rubbed and steel-wooled until it glowed, not realizing that I'd actually be using it 9 months later.

Baffled, my old memories soon grew even more confused. "I don't know where it is!" I told her. "I remember exactly where I used to rock Brigham, but I don't recall it at the smaller house." We'd moved. I racked my brain and wanted to cry. Had I left it in a garage and someone stole it like they did my cute iron day/trundle bed? Had I been feeling overly generous and let a former friend borrow it? Who? Who? Would my Ex have it? No... How could it be gone for so many years and years-- It was not in the garage...

So I came back from Alaska with that niggling predicament: What happened to the rocking chair? At my mom's? There was a clunky one in the garage after all, but it had a cushioned bottom and broken rocker. It bothered me in bed--I was heartsick at night and I've laid awake ever since--each of my babies fed and held there, sleepy, sweet, fussy or sick. Perhaps I was just overly excited about Bailey's new baby--who is already loved by so many people and he's not even here yet... I can imagine him cradled in mommy and daddy's arms...

And then, just sitting here, I knew! Oh brother--I sheepishly and embarrassingly admit what an idiot I am. Bailey, do you know where the rocking chair is???

1 comment:

Sandy said...

OK OK the suspense is way too much, what DID you do with it? Maybe the answer will joggle MY addled brain and I'll be able to solve a few of my own conundrums...